Friday 4 April 2008

Can't Help It.

Rosemary Rhubarb Cake, take 2:
Soooo... this is a potential recipe based on a very good version of this cake that I made today. It's based on the Joy of Cooking applesauce cake recipe. I dunno though... it was good cake but the flavors weren't as potent as I'd like. Anyways:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (or 190 degrees C)

8-10 Stalks of rhubarb (I think, it should cook down to about 1.5 - 2 cups of goo) cut into 3/4 inch chunks
1/3 cup sugar

Put the sugar and the rhubarb into a saucepan. Leave it alone for 10 minutes so that the sugar can pull some of the juice out of the rhubarb, then cook on low low heat until most of the rhubarb breaks down but there are still chunks. Taste and adjust sugar. It should still be a bit tart because the batter has sugar in it too.

1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 tsp backing soda
1/2 tsp salt

Mix dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.

3/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, softened

Cream together. My sister doesn't have an electric mixer so I let the butter get really really soft and cream it with a fork.
Then beat in:

1 egg
2 tsp (or 1 tbsp, I dunno, this is where I am differeing from what I previously did) fresh rosemary chopped SUPER fine, almost a powder.

Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter and fold in with a spatula. Then add 1/2 of the rhubarb, followed by another 1/3 of the flour mixture, and then the rest of the rhubabrb mixture and finally the last of the flour.

Scoop into buttered bread pans and cook for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
It's nice with heavy cream that has been agitated (I made that up, it means cream that has been beaten a little with a fork so it has larger, loose bubbles but doesn't hold it's shape so that it's lighter than straight cream but not whipped. There's probably a real name, but I don't care).

Otherwise uninteresting day. S invited me to a party but they are holding it at the P. and I am not sure I want to go back to work for the second time today.

No comments: