Thursday 4 December 2008

5 Year High School Reunion

My 5 year high school reunion is coming up.
Which is interesting because everyone I have talked to has had a different take on whether or not they are going, and why.

A says that she won't go, because she's dolefully sure that she will drink too much and either hit on some boy inappropriatly or tell everyone EXACTLY what she thinks of them.

B laughed for about 2 minutes and blared "everyone knows the only reason that you go to your high school reunion is to BRAG!" To which L (somewhat sarcastically) said:

"We should go and be that artsy crowd and tell everyone that we are 'living our dreams.'"

J next door said "yeah, why not?"

My sister suggested sending an emissary to go and report back: who has bleached their hair, who has a problem with anorexia, who's still an asshole, who reinvented themselves dramatically, etc.

K said "yeah, let's go!" which makes me think that he and I will end up being the emissaries.

Me, I dunno. I am probably going to be very passive about it. If someone picks me up, I will go. Otherwise, I will make no effort. It won't be unpleasant, but slightly surreal. Piedmont is a small town, therefore I went to pre-preschool, preschool and college with a bunch of my classmates. One girl and I have been at the same school since kindergarten. But this doesn't mean that any of us were close, we just knew each other existed for a long, long time. Also, Piedmont being a small town and most people being fairly active on facebook, we know all of the gossip already: who already has babies, who's married, who's become a born again christian etc. I can also only think of 2 reunion scenarios:

1) The same kids who hung out with each other in high school will again seal themselves into their social groups and talk to no one but their friends, either out of shyness or ingrained Piedmont social rules that no one can escape.

2) I have the same polite, uninteresting conversation again and again:

Our Hero: Oh, Hi Classmate I Haven't Seen In Years! How are you? What are you doing these days? Um, where did you go to college again?

CIHSIY: Look at that ring in your nose! How long have you had that?

OH: About 2 years

[insert vague chatter about piercings and tattoos]

CIHSIY: Oh, I went to UC_, these days I am working my way up the corporate ladder/an engineer/in grad school/interning. What are you doing?

OH: Oh, I am a bum who is going to move from my parents house to Denver at some undetermined date. There I am going to work a crappy job while I contemplate becoming a nurse.

Despite the cynical bend to the end of that exchange, I am actually ok with currently being a bum and the idea of being a corporate lunky/engineer does not appeal in the slightest.

That's the problem with all of these reunion-things, you feel like you have to justify everything, whether you are going, whether or not you are going, what you are currently doing versus what you want to do. And it's all so very, very, exhausting. But real interesting to watch.

1 comment:

orrville said...

that feels just like having been there. that was much easier than actually going. thanks . . .