Friday 4 July 2008

Novelty Cont'd

Soo, I have already pointed out that there is a dearth of novelty in my neck of the woods. Well there is. Except for word differences. For example, did you know that a toothpick is called a "stick" or a "cocktail stick" here in The Bog They Call England?
I learned this in a faintly humiliating slightly humorous manner today.

During a busy Friday lunchtime C. shrieked me into the kitchen and shoved a small bowl of olives into my hand, flew to the other side of the kitchen and said something to her cutting board about "having sticks out there." I asked what she meant by sticks and instead of describing them she stood in the middle of the kitchen and bawled "STICKS, dear, STICKS!"in my face. My uncomprehending expression made her "tchah!" in frustration and she sent me out of the kitchen with a different order. I figured out what she meant by "sticks" (eventually) and went back to pick up the order. She said something directed at me (but to the cutting board again) and I tried to point out that I hadn't known what sticks were (I am now wondering why I even bothered, she already thinks that I have mashed potatoes for brains) and she whirled around started to say something, flew to the other end of the kitchen, turned and triumphantly wailed "well, you should have recognized that they were missing and figured it out from that, so HA!"

So ha?

Touche, C., we have fought a hard battle and I concede some sort of win to you. Um, yeah.

No comments: