Wednesday 16 July 2008

Little Story-ette

I was lying in bed reading and contemplating getting up when I heard a bizarre sound, kind of like the pages in a large book being riffled through. I sat up, certain that it was a book that I had kicked off the bed, or a poltergeist (I am a very logical person) and looked out. It was a bird that had flown into the 2 inch opening of the window and was beating it's wings against the glass. I did what any mature, wise, calm person would do and screamed my head off and shut the curtains on the bird. I ran outside with some vague plan of opening the window more from the outside (there's a latch that catches the window once it's open a few inches but you can release it with a little difficulty) so that there would be a wall of glass between me and the bird. I turned the corner of the building just in time to see it fly out of the window. All that was left on my sill was a tiny, fresh, bird turd.
I don't know how the bird saw the opening,much less was able to fly in. The window is a big rectangle of glass that swings open at the bottom. There are no trees or bushes right next to it, so the bird didn't just happen to hop in.
Crazy bird.

No comments: