Monday 26 October 2009

On Focus and Practice and Hobbies

I can sew.
If you had asked me before today:
"Hey Emily, can you sew?"
I'd have responded like so:
"Um, kind of?"

But I realized today that I can sew! I can sew mildly sophisticated things (poorly) like curves and I know what in ironing ham is and how to press seams and why you use pinking shears and what cotton batting is! All of those damn sewing classes have lodged themselves in my brain and though I am unpracticed I can do it.

Which made me realize that I am somewhat of a Jane of All Trades. I have gone to volleyball camp, and church and church camp and church youth group, and backpacking in rural Alaska, and homestays in Poland and France, and being a barmaid in a pub in England, and I have gone to cooking camp, and horseback riding camp, and circus camp, and I have taken a calligraphy class, and myriad sewing classes, and nature camp, soccer camp, swimming lessons, swim team, intramural soccer, intramural softball, flute lessons, piano lessons, choir, wind ensemble, duets and trios and quartets, I have baby-sat and taught private tutorials in math and phonics and Spanish, I have hosted in a restaurant, served food in a restaurant...

I am unfocused and running out of things to try. It's depressing and I am going to bed.

But I have decided that I seriously want a sewing machine

No comments: